Eden Life Centres offers volcanic ash protection tips.
Environmental toxins are often invisible, but are around us all the time and their effects can be pretty nasty down the track if exposure is prolonged or frequent. They can harm human health by potentiating organ damage, respiratory issues, cellular growth and development problems, cancer development and impaired activity of the glands that produce our hormones.
With Mt Agung’s current activity, people in Bali may face volcanic ash issues and associated health complications. Knowing how to support your immune system and provide your body with anti-oxidants and respiratory supporting nutrients may help reduce harm and protect your health in the weeks or months following an eruption.
What are the potential harms of volcanic ash?
· ‘Tephra’, or volcanic ash, is a general term for the particles produced when dissolved gases expand in volcanic magma and cause an explosion. This ash can form clouds that look like regular clouds but are toxic when inhaled.
· All sorts of chemicals, heavy metals and toxins can be contained in tephra, causing nasal/throat irritation, runny nose, coughing, wheezing, shortness of breath, airway irritation & breathing difficulties.
· Carcinogens such as cadmium from polluted air, water, rubble, & soil promote cancer (lung cancer) and can cause concentration/memory issues, dry skin and blood pressure problems.
· Skin suffers premature aging from air polluted with environmental toxins. Toxins accumulate and cause dryness, redness, acne, irritation and disruptions to natural oil balances.
Ways to detox, support immunity and combat toxins:
· To protect yourself from volcanic ash, wear a dust mask that protects from small particles, goggles, and clothing that covers as much skin as possible.
· Avoid driving or being outside in heavy ashfall.
· Coriander is a natural chelator that helps carry heavy metals out of the body.
· Brazil nuts restore antioxidant selenium (which can be lost during chelation).
· Amino acids in eggs and high quality animal proteins support liver detoxification.
· Activated charcoal binds toxins and carries them out of the body.
· Growing houseplants like aloe vera release oxygen and purify air.
· Wear a filter mask when riding, especially in busier traffic areas.
· Consume plenty of water and fresh vegetables daily to help eliminate accumulated toxins.
· Drink nettle tea- it is great for helping the kidneys flush toxins out.
· Oregano leaf tea reduces lung congestion and clears respiratory tract impurities.
· Eating sea vegetables- seaweed binds heavy metals and removes them from the body.
Text by Sarah Newland – Eden Life Centres | Photos courtesy of Eden Life Centres
Eden Life Centres
Jl. Petitenget No. 12
Bali – Indonesia
Phone. +62 361 934 2958